Skin tags. The name alone is not appealing; a tag of skin that hangs from the body. Why on earth do we experience something that serves no purpose other than to cause discomfort at their appearance and catch on the occasional necklace? Skin tags rank up there with tonsils and the appendix; we’re born with both yet we can live perfectly fine without them.
According to WebMD (2014), skin tags can be found on the neck, chest, back, armpits, under the breasts, or in the groin area. As much as I dislike knowing or admitting that I have them, I do. Luckily they are still quite small and not bothersome or big enough for me to feel the need to remove them just yet. For others, skin tags can hurt if brushed against or leave the individual feeling like they are unsightly.
Luckily there is a remedy in the form of apple cider vinegar which contains high levels of acetic acid.
Skin Tag Removal Recipe
- 1 Teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (look for raw, organic or natural)
- Cotton swab
- Warm water
- With warm soap and water, clean the skin tag and the area surrounding it
- Rinse with clean warm water and pat skin dry
- Soak a cotton swab in the vinegar and press it against the skin tag to soak it (Should the vinegar sting, mix it with a little water to dilute it.)
- Allow the vinegar to dry for about 5 minutes
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to remove the vinegar smell
- Repeat twice daily until the skin tag falls off (Note: The skin tag may darken in color as it dies.)
This process is completely painless and preferable to ripping the suckers off. I shamefully admit to having ripped one off before and boy do they sting and bleed. I do not recommend it as it’s not hygienic and it looks funny to have a wee Band-Aid on your neck.
Until next time, discover the power of your kitchen cupboard.
Moles, Freckles, and Skin Tags. (2014, October 27). WebMD. Retrieved from http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/moles-freckles-skin-tags?page=3#1.
Kitchen Cupboard Underground is a weekly blog on home remedies and natural wellness. Find 100% natural, wellness and personal care products Made for You and delivered to your door at BotanicalTherapy.com.
Explore over a hundred useful blog topics in the Underground Archive.
Receive Kitchen Cupboard Underground with a Free Subscription.