Carrier Oil – Hemp Seed Oil
Back in January we covered the topic of marijuana in the Materia Medica – Cannabis sativa L; however keep in mind that today’s post is referring to what is commonly known as hemp, they just happen to be of the same species. Hemp contains very little of the THC (the chemical compound which creates the euphoric effect) but it has an abundance of CBD (which is the more therapeutic of the two). The hemp plant is amazingly versatile in that it can be used to make clothing and paper, consumed as a food or beverages, and can even be used as an alternative fuel source. Hemp seed oil is fabulous for the skin for its ability to retain moisture and prevent water loss.
Name of Oil: Hemp Seed Oil
Latin Name: Cannabis sativa
Areas of Origin: India, Iran, and the Causcusus region of Eastern Europe.
Parts Used: Seeds
Scent: Strong nutty scent
Color: Dark greenish-brown
Benefits: It contains the fatty acids of Omega-6 Linoleic acid and Omega-3 Linoleic acid, as well as Gamma-Linoleic acid.
Shelf Life: Two years
Safety: These side effects are not common, but need to be noted:
- “Excess polyunsaturated fatty acids, Omega 3 and Omega 6; are responsible forcardiac dysfunction and susceptibility to bacterial infections
- Produces harmful peroxides under intense heat
- May lead to digestive problems; painful cramps and diarrhea
- In rare cases, overly sensitive individuals may experience the feeling of being high while using hemp oil products which contain very small traces of THC
- Hemp oil can affect how the anticoagulant and blood platelets work or even stop their production”
- Consider adding some of this oil to your DIY lotions, serums or lip balms to take advantage of its amazing skin benefits
- Spot touch this oil onto skin rashes to help soothe inflammation and irritation
- Add some to a beard oil as its non-greasy and really sinks into hair for softening and moisturizing
For a more information about the hemp plant itself, check out the link below to Healthy Hemp oil:
Until next time, discover the power of exploring new carrier oils.
5 Hemp Oil Side Effects You Need to Know. (n.d.). Healthy Hemp oil. Retrieved from https://healthyhempoil.com/hemp-oil-side-effects/.