Billowy Lavender Clouds
Nothing beats falling asleep while drifting on a billowy lavender cloud. *my cloud screeches to a halt* Wait a minute; how the heck am I going to get a frickin’ cloud? Silly me, let’s start over. Nothing beats falling asleep with the help of a billowy lavender pillow, an eye pillow to be exact.
Many of us are familiar with eye masks for falling asleep. The eye pillow is a similar idea, but is filled with lavender buds and rice or flax seed. The benefits a lavender eye pillow include:
- Soothing a restless mind
- Promoting relaxation
- Encouraging sleep
- Easing of a headache/migraine
- Reducing stress
There are additional benefits to this pillow, depending on if it’s used chilled or warmed. Eye pillows stored in the freezer are great for use as cold therapy for muscles or overheated skin. An eye pillow can be warmed by placing it on a paper towel or microwave safe plate and microwaved for 30 second bursts until the desired temperature has been reached. Please use caution while heating as the rice or flax seed gets hot quickly. Be sure to cool it sufficiently before applying to the skin, especially for children. A warmed pillow is great for heat therapy for muscles or warming stiff joints.
I frequently use my eye pillow for its additional chilled/warmed benefits. I store mine in the freezer as it takes a while to cool, but can be instantly warmed in the microwave.
Lavender Eye Pillow Recipe/Instructions
I know how to sew but my written instructions for stitching a pillow read like a recipe for disaster. Instead I’ve linked an easy pattern with lovely pictures by Jessica from Décor Adventures:
Some optional alterations to the pattern:
- Instead of rice, use flax seeds or a mixture of both for the filling.
- Consider using other soothing flowers/herbs such as chamomile or peppermint.
- Add a few drops of essential oils (lavender, chamomile and/or peppermint) to the rice mix before sewing the pillow closed. If you are hyper-sensitive to smells during headaches/migraines, you may want to omit the essential oils.
- Add a zipper to the pillow so you can replace the rice/flax and flowers as desired. (Remember, metal zippers and microwaves are not friends).
As the pattern notes, it is a good idea to make a slipcover for your eye pillow so that you can hand wash it as needed. And whatever you do, don’t get the pillow wet as the rice and flowers may mold.
The lavender eye pillow can be made in a single afternoon, which is well worth it considering everything this little pillow can do.
Until next time, discover the power of billowy lavender clouds